Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
Told you I can’t get enough of pumpkin. This is why I love fall!
Shocker…I still had a bunch of cans leftover from all the other pumpkin recipes I’ve whipped up in the kitchen this season so I decided to make these Saturday morning to go along with my hot chocolate.
No I don’t drink coffee.
We’ve been through this.
I found a recipe that was already fairly healthy, but decided to lighten them up even more by taking the oil out completely and using unsweetened applesauce. I hope you keep this on hand because it really is the greatest substitution in baking PERIOD! I also added Greek yogurt, chopped nuts and some spices to make these muffins delicious and packed full of protein. Perfect way to start your day if you ask me.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. pumpkin spice
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup raw sugar + 1 Tbsp for topping
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts, for topping
- 1 Tbsp rolled oats, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray your muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large bowl using your stand mixer, combine applesauce, pumpkin puree, yogurt, egg and sugar. Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined (don't over mix).
- Fill your muffin tin almost to the top with the pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle with reserved sugar, walnuts and rolled oats, if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool and enjoy!