Vegan Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
Let me start off by saying this is literally the BEST soup I’ve ever tasted. I promise I’m not exaggerating. Not. Even. A. Little.
I first had this at my girlfriend’s house during one of our many girl’s nights and was completely shocked at how delicious this was! Folks this is not a bland soup by any stretch of the imagination – the spices that go into it make this incredibly flavorful and they just blend so perfectly. I mean we’re talking cinnamon, coriander, cumin, ginger…it gets pretty intense.
This is a vegan recipe that was created by the one and only Alisha Silverstone (“As if!”….yeah you know the cult classic I’m referring to) and this can be modified however you’d like! I chose to use spinach since I already had some that I needed to use up, but next time I’ll definitely be trying kale. Make sure that you add all the spices listed, the combination is what really makes this soup amazing!
So I realized this is my last weekend in my little apartment that I’ve lived in for the past 5 years. I’m really excited to leave, but it’s still so bittersweet. Still, I can’t wait to share with you my new house once I get everything in order! One of my favorite things about reading other blogs is checking out their gorgeous home tours, and I finally get to post one! Might take me a little while, but it will be done. Happy Friday!!
- 2 Tbsp safflower oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup baby spinach or kale
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat and saute onion for about 2 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in tomatoes and ginger, cooking an addition 3 minutes. Stir in turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne and salt and cook for 2 minutes, tasting to make sure its to your liking.
- Next add the sweet potatoes, broth and lentils.
- Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat and cover, allowing to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Then add spinach (or kale) and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy!