Spicy Sausage and Veggie Stir Fry
Weekly meal prep is something that is a MUST for us! We do it every Sunday and not only does it help us stay on track with consistent healthy eating, but it also gives us more time in the evenings to work out, relax or really do whatever we want besides rushing home to cook! This is such a life saver because, I mean let’s be honest, after working a 9 to 5 job, sitting in traffic, changing for the gym and rushing home to make dinner in the hopes of eating before 9 PM, I tend to want to either skip the gym or order take out.
Hey I said I was being honest.
And this is BEFORE we even have kids! Boy am I amazed at those that can juggle ALL. So yes, I absolutely love meal planning, I practically depend on it, and this recipe is one of those that I can either make ahead of time or is perfect for those nights when I want something quick and easy because it only takes about 15 minutes to throw together! Now I am utterly obsessed with Al Fresco’s spicy jalapeno chicken sausage which you may remember from my Instagram last week, and no I wasn’t paid by them to say that. I really do LOVE this sausage as it’s much healthier than normal sausage and just tastes so dang good!! Mixed with veggies and delicious seasonings, you can see why this has become one of my favorite and EASIEST recipes to make.
For meal planning purposes, what I personally like to do is pre-chop all my veggies on Sunday and put them into baggies or containers. Then the night I’m ready to cook everything I just throw it all into the pan and voila – easy peasy! This also makes incredible leftovers since the seasonings just marinate together overnight. Here are some of my other favorite go-to meals that I like to make on Sundays for the week:
Cauliflower Fried “Rice” (just add chicken for a full meal!)
If you’re interested in adding any of these recipes to your meal plan list, here is a great printable that I created to help with my own clean eating journey through my personal Tone It Up plan. You can view and print that chart HERE. It’s always so helpful for me to create a weekly menu that I can stick to so I don’t fall off track. I save them in a notebook to go back to for inspiration, meal ideas or even just a quick pick-me-up when I feel like I’m struggling. Remember if you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
I mean don’t you just love it when your dinner is this colorful?!
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 links spicy jalapeno chicken sausage (I used Al Fresco), cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash onion and herb blend
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a large skillet on medium heat, drizzle olive oil and saute onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add sausage slices and cook for a few minutes until brown, turning half way through.
- Add onion, bell peppers, and broccoli and cook until veggies are tender, about 3 minutes then mix in Rotel tomatoes and seasonings, cooking and additional 5 minutes until everything is incorporated and heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!