Skinny Fettuccini Alfredo
“Ahh! I thought this was a healthy blog?!?”
I know, I know….that’s what you’re thinking, but YES this is actually low in fat and calories and YES it does taste really good! I came up with this recipe by looking up all sorts of different recipes and actually took a few main ingredients from each and made my own. I really didn’t think this would turn out as great as it did because there is no butter or heavy cream used, but it was super yummy! Feel free to add some roasted red bell pepper for additional flavor or throw in some mushrooms. Let me know how you like it!
- 1 box Dreamfields fettuccine pasta
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 gloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup 99% fat-free chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup grated low-fat Parmesan cheese
- Begin by cooking the fettuccine noodles per the box directions. I prefer mine cooked al dente.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden brown.
- In a smaller saucepan, stir together milk, chicken broth, 3 Tbsp. flour (save 1 Tbsp. of flour for later), salt and pepper over low heat until smooth and thick. Stir into garlic. Continue to cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick.
- Add the last tablespoon of flour (for additional thickness) and stir in with Parmesan cheese. Cover and let sit for a few minutes so that the sauce thickens up even more. Pour over fettuccine noodles and garnish with parsley if desired.