Skillet Spanish Quinoa
It’s certainly no secret that quinoa is one of my favorite foods to cook with. I mean I’ve made this sauteed kale and quinoa skillet, these quinoa mini stuffed peppers, thrown quinoa into salads, burgers and even muffins….um need I continue?? I mean this little grain is so crazy versatile and incredibly healthy for you and the best part is it just tastes so darn good! Obviously I can’t get enough.
This recipe was inspired by a super old recipe that I made years ago using rice, so I thought I’d try a variation of this with quinoa. This makes the perfect flavorful side dish for any Mexican entree such as chicken enchiladas or even fajitas (yes recipe coming soon!) – and with spices and herbs like chili powder, cumin, oregano and cilantro, how can you NOT give this a try?? It also makes a TON so I like making a big batch on Sundays to bring with me for lunches for the week or to go with my dinner. Meal prepping is seriously my weekly life savior, no lie. I absolutely depend on it and the anxiety i get if I don’t is legit no joke. Sometimes my Sundays can get super busy, but I still make time to prep some meals, at least lunches for the week even if it’s just a bunch of salad and veggies.
The struggle is real.
And by the way how cute is this white cast iron skillet I snagged at Target?? I swear I can never walk into that store and leave with just one thing….I always end up with waaaay more stuff than I intended to purchase, usually clothes or more home decor than my house needs. It’s a legit problem y’all. But Target’s merchandise is just getting better and better – I’m obsessed! I’m currently eyeing this gold bar cart and this gorgeous sunburst mirror for our guestroom. I swear projects are never ending in our household – wainscoting in the dining room, a gallery wall in our living room as well as one going up the stairs, getting our wedding photos printed and framed to go around the house and still trying to figure out how to decorate this huge nook in our kitchen. I’m finally finishing up my office and if you follow me on Instagram then you saw a little sneak peek at my prop shelf that’s finally coming together. Hoping to have that little space completed before Christmas!
Now about this recipe. I’m obsessed. Go make it.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- ½ - 1 tsp. hot sauce (to your liking)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
- Rinse and soak quinoa for about 10 minutes in warm water.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle olive oil and saute onion and garlic until fragrant. Add green bell pepper, vegetable broth, tomatoes, hot sauce and seasonings and stir in drained quinoa; bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for about 20 minutes, or until broth is absorbed. Turn heat off and allow quinoa to sit for an additional 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Top with cilantro, serve and enjoy!