Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
These EASY Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs make the perfect summer meal for your family that is healthy and full of so much flavor with delicious chunks of pineapple, bell pepper and marinated chicken in every bite!
You guys. Summer might be one of my favorite times of the year and not just because of flip flops, beach trips and the fact that I can maintain a good tan with little to no effort, but it is officially grilling season! My husband and I literally grill out almost every night of the week in the summer, not only because it goes hand in hand with sitting on our back deck enjoying a glass of wine, but it also makes eating healthy so much easier and enjoyable.
We love to cook chicken, fish and steaks on the grill along with eating ALL the vegetables because summer produce is totally my jam! Our go-to meal though is hands down kabobs because they are super easy to throw together in a pinch, don’t take long at all to cook and taste absolutely delicious with little to no clean-up. I also love that the veggies and meat can cook all at the same time making kabobs such an effortless meal and the flavors in these Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs just scream summer!
For this recipe I used O Organics® boneless skinless chicken breasts which are a line of products that can be found exclusively at Safeway stores and the whole Albertsons family of stores across the country. I really enjoy eating all organic, but it can get pretty expensive at times so I LOVE that O Organics is incredibly affordable! Eating healthy, in my opinion, should not break the bank and O Organics, along with another Safeway exclusive brand Open Nature®, make it EASY for families to shop for their favorite ingredients at low prices to make everyday meals they know that their family will love.
O Organics offers USDA certified organic chicken and beef while Open Nature offers premium grass-fed, free range, and natural beef that is vegetarian fed and free of antibiotics or added hormones. I always stock up on their beef and chicken, especially in the summer, because their prices can’t be beat and the quality is too good to pass up!
Now because I live in the Washington, D.C. area, I personally shop for these products at my local Safeway, but you can also find O Organics and Open Nature at ALL Albertsons’ Companies family of grocery stores, including ACME Markets, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Jewel-Osco, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, United Express, United and Carrs/Safeway.
So to make this recipe, really the only thing you need to actually throw together is the marinade which is honestly incredible. It’s sweet with a just little bit of spice and TONS of flavor! I mean we’re talking pineapple, soy sauce, fresh ginger, honey, garlic, chili paste….need I keep going?? I literally just whisked all the ingredients together, poured it over top of the chicken and let everything marinate overnight. Now if you’re throwing this together last minute you can totally get away with marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes to an hour, but the longer it marinates, the more flavorful it will be – trust me!
Then once the chicken is done marinating, simply thread them onto skewers along with chunks of bell pepper, red onion and fresh pineapple and you’re all set! Oh and just FYI…..grilled pineapple = one of the best things in this whole world (zero exaggeration).
I also want to note that I like to reserve about a 1/4 cup of the marinade before pouring it on the chicken to brush over top of the skewers as they cook on the grill. This keeps the chicken nice and moist while adding flavor to the pineapple and veggies!
As a side dish to go with the kabobs, I made some coconut lime cilantro quinoa which tasted amazing with all the flavors in the chicken and pineapple. The great thing about Safeway’s O Organics line is that it offers over 300 different products aside from chicken and beef all at affordable prices! I snagged some of their quinoa and not only does it taste delicious, but I know I can feel good about what I’m eating.
But seriously you guys, this whole kabob-pineapple-quinoa combo is a MUST to make this summer and actually makes great meal prep bowls for healthy lunches throughout the week. The leftovers tasted even better the next day so I simply made a double batch of the quinoa so that both of us could enjoy this for our lunches.
I really hope you all enjoy these chicken kabobs as much as we did! This recipe has officially become a summer staple in our home and truly couldn’t be any easier to throw together.
- 1¼ lb O Organics boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into large chunks
- 3 cups fresh pineapple, cubed
- Optional garnish: green onions and cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh pineapple juice
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp O Organics honey
- 1 Tbsp O Organics olive oil
- 1½ Tbsp hot chili paste
- 2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Place chicken in a large ziplock bag or bowl.
- To make the marinade, whisk together pineapple juice, reduced sodium soy sauce, honey, olive oil, chili paste, ginger and garlic until combined. Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade and pour the rest over top of chicken until completely coated. Seal the bag and marinate chicken in the fridge for at least an hour to overnight.
- Pre-heat grill on medium-high heat, making sure to lightly spray with oil to avoid sticking, and soak the skewers in cold water for 15 to 20 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- To assemble the kabobs, thread chicken, veggies and pineapple onto the skewers and place on the grill, cooking the chicken about 2 to 3 minutes on each side and brushing with the reserved marinade until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with coconut lime cilantro quinoa made with O Organics quinoa and enjoy!
If you want to learn more about the O Organics and Open Nature lines, make sure to follow Safeway on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram or head to your local Safeway grocery store and stock up on your own organic products!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Safeway. The opinions and text are all mine.