Fettuccini with Tomato-Cream Sauce
Anyone that knows me knows I have a love/hate relationship with pasta. I LOVE it, but my booty sure hates me for it. I rarely ever make pasta dishes anymore since I’ve tried to cut back on my carb intake, but when I saw this recipe in my August issue of Cooking Light, I just had to try it!
Tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and cream cheese….umm yes please! The pasta is lightly coated, yet super flavorful and very filling. I loved everything about this and Chris sure did too! Oh and I should probably mention that your kitchen will smell amazing afterwards.
Horrible I know.
This also makes tons of leftovers which is perfect for lunch the next day. Budgeting for food is not my strongest life skill, let me just put it that way. I always end up running to the store when I need something and rarely ever plan ahead. Last week I started planning all my meals out two weeks in advance and not only did it save me over half of what I normally spend, but I was able to use up all my ingredients rather than waste any food!
This is a super budget-friendly dish and I loved having tons of extra basil leftover to use throughout the week. Now that I’ve started house shopping, I’m trying to save every penny I have! I’ve decided I’m going to have one built and lemme just tell you, Pinterest has become my best friend!
But more on that later. Enjoy some carbs!
- 8 oz. uncooked fettuccine
- 4 quarts boiling water
- ½ tsp. salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 3 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup small fresh basil leaves
- ½ oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in 4 quarts of boiling water with ¼ teaspoon salt for 8 minutes or until noodles are almost al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1⅓ cups of pasta cooking water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add oil then garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and tomatoes, cook for 3 minutes. Add in reserved 1⅓ cups pasta water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in cream cheese and mix until smooth. Add in pasta and red pepper and cook an additional 3 minutes or until pasta is al dente, tossing to coat.
- Divide pasta among 4 bowls, top with 1 tablespoon of basil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!