Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
Thank you Just BARE Chicken for sponsoring this post. To live a lean and clean lifestyle, choose Just BARE natural and organic chicken.
Let’s TACO bout grilling season!!
When I think of summer I immediately dream of cookouts, pool parties and firing up the grill and these Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos make the perfect summer recipe to share with your friends and family this season! I mean with all these fresh flavors and vibrant colors, I promise your friends will thank you! Just make sure to throw in a margarita or two.
These tacos were made using Just BARE Natural boneless chicken breasts that were marinated in a delicious (and super easy-to-make!) cilantro lime marinade all topped with a homemade coleslaw and drizzled with creamy avocado crema! The great thing about Just BARE Chicken is that their chicken is all-natural with ZERO antibiotics, they are American Human Certified and are vegetable and grain fed so you know you can feel good about what you’re eating. This is a brand that is committed to promoting and celebrating the journey to healthier living with the “Living Lean & Clean” campaign and it all starts with their chickens!
Now is there a better combination than cilantro, lime and avocado?? No pretty sure it’s the best summer combo and these tacos are literally bursting with flavor!! I might be a little obsessed.
I like to marinate my chicken for at least 4 hours just so that the chicken has time to really soak everything up. I’ll also use this time to make my slaw and avocado crema so that when it’s time to make the tacos, everything is all ready to assemble! Don’t have a grill?? That’s okay too, this chicken can be fried up in a pan, baked, slow cooked – however you prefer to cook your chicken totally works in this recipe, just make to sure to slice or shred the chicken once it’s cooked so that it can be added to your tacos.
And yes this creamy avocado crema is one of my tried and true recipes seen in this salad here. It’s one of my favorite dressings and pairs perfectly on top of these tacos! I added just a little more hot sauce than I normally do because I really wanted these tacos to have a nice kick, but feel free to add as much or as little as you’d like.
Okay so let’s talk about this super easy-to-make coleslaw! It’s crunchy, flavorful and adds so much gorgeous color to the tacos that it is a MUST in this recipe. Now if you’re looking for a creamy coleslaw, this might not be your thing, but I kept this much healthier by simply tossing it with a little olive oil, lime juice and zest with a touch of honey and letting those flavors marinate just before serving. Simple, easy and delicious! This is also my go-to slaw to throw on top of burgers and sandwiches or even add to salads for a nice crunch.
Then just assemble! Throw on that juicy chicken, top with coleslaw and drizzle with avocado crema and you have yourself taco perfection.
When I say these tacos were a hit in our house, I quite literally mean they were devoured in minutes! I was actually pretty bummed because I was really looking forward to enjoying all the leftovers the next day! That being said, these tacos DO make some pretty bangin’ leftovers (if you’re lucky enough to have any) so throw the leftover chicken, coleslaw and avocado dressing together to make a quick salad or simply enjoy more tacos! Hope you all enjoy them as much as we did!
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 8 to 10 (6 inch) flour or corn tortillas
- Juice of 2 limes + zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch of salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp. Sriracha
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ to ½ cup water (depending on consistency)
- Place chicken in a large ziplock bag or bowl.
- To make the marinade, whisk together lime juice, zest, olive oil, garlic, honey, and cilantro until combined and pour over top of chicken until completely coated. Cover and marinate chicken for about 4 hours to overnight.
- To make the coleslaw, combine cabbage, carrots, green onions and cilantro in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, honey and salt and toss together with slaw mixture.
- To make the avocado crema, combine the avocado, garlic, cilantro, yogurt, lime juice, sriracha and salt/pepper in a food processor and pulse until combined. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and water until smooth until you have your desired consistency.
- To cook the chicken, pre-heat outdoor grill or grill pan on medium-high heat and add marinated chicken breasts. Sprinkle with a little salt and cook chicken about 4 to 5 minutes on each side until juices run clear. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting. This keeps them juicy!
- To assemble the tacos, place chicken in a tortilla and top with slaw and a drizzle of the avocado crema. Serve with a fresh squeeze of lime and enjoy!
Just BARE Chicken offers a wide variety of organic and natural products so be sure to check them out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for even MORE delicious recipes, nutrition information and cooking tips!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.