Caribbean Chicken Wings
My apologies as first of all this isn’t exactly a SUPER healthy recipe. But seriously these are just TOO amazing not to share with you guys! I got this recipe from my amazing Food Network app on my phone and these wings are now officially my boyfriend’s (and mine) FAVORITE recipe. Oh yeah, and I got the official stamp of approval from our dads too (score!)
One way to make these wings A LOT healthier is to remove the skin. That one modification will take this recipe from 10 grams of fat to roughly zero! I also substituted Splenda in for the sugar it called for. Mmm they were soo delish!! I promise! The spiciness of the habanero, the sweetness of the brown sugar mixed with the zest of lime is the perfect combination of ingredients for a sauce that is mouthwatering good! Tip: the longer you allow the chicken to marinate in the mixture, the better they taste!Again, sorry this recipe isn’t super light but personally I feel a little indulgence during the week is always a good thing.
- 1 habanero, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 packets Stevia (or 2 Tbsp sugar)
- 2 tsp. fennel seed
- 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. allspice
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 package chicken wings (about 18 wings)
- In a food processor, blend together all the ingredients, but the chicken, until smooth. Reserve one cup of marinade. Place chicken wings into a large resealable plastic bag and pour remaining marinade over them. Seal and marinate in the refrigerator 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two sheet trays with parchment.
- Remove chicken from bag and place on the baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring reserved marinade to a boil. Reduce by ⅓ until it thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove chicken from oven. Brush chicken with glaze, raise the heat to 400 degrees F and cook chicken for about 15 more minutes. Broil them for an additional 5 minutes to get the tops of them nice and cooked and serve. Enjoy!