Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
Ok so I was actually nervous about making this recipe! Although I’ve been cooking for awhile now and feel very comfortable in the kitchen, there are still A LOT of techniques I have yet to learn. This would be one of them.
But I surprised myself (and my boyfriend) because they turned out fantastic! No really…they did I found this recipe on Gina’s Skinny Recipes and have been wanting to make them for sooo long now. I was just daunted by the fact I had to slice the chicken breasts into cutlets, wrap them up with the cheese and broccoli inside and seal them together with toothpicks without having everything fall out! It’s SO much easier than I had imagined and they tasted delicious. At only 142 calories per piece of chicken (only 3 points!), this dish is is tasty, satisfying and very well-balanced. Even your kids will love it! I paired the rest of the remaining broccoli with this dish as a healthy side. I love learning and practicing new techniques. It’s always such a great feeling when you’re successful and, even when you’re not, you always learn something from every mistake. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
- 3 (24 oz total) large chicken breast halves
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. water
- ¾ cup whole wheat seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups broccoli floret, cooked, chopped small
- 5 slices reduced fat Swiss cheese
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, water and a little salt. Beat with a fork to make an egg wash. Set aside. Fill a second bowl with breadcrumbs.
- Slice chicken breast halves into thin cutlets. You should get about 3 thin cutlets out of one breast half. Pound them to make them thinner if you wish. This helps when you wrap the cutlets.
- Cut each slice of cheese in half. Place a ½ slice cheese in the center of the chicken and top with a little broccoli. Wrap chicken around to completely cover cheese, using toothpicks to secure. Season with a little salt.
- Dip chicken into egg wash, then breadcrumbs. Spray cookie sheet with oil and place chicken on cookie sheet. Lightly spray chicken with oil and bake about 25 minutes, until cooked. Enjoy!