Apple Cider Oatmeal Crisp
SO I have some exciting news!!
Next week I am heading CROSS COUNTRY with my brother and dad to drive all the way from Virginia to California for one long road trip! I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve honestly never really been off the east coast except for a wedding once in Michigan and a Vegas trip (yep to see Brit Brit) so this is super exciting for me! Not only am I fortunate to spend the time with my brother who just got back from living in Japan for the past three years, but we’ve mapped out a fun little itinerary that includes pit stops in Nashville, Memphis, Texas, the Grand Canyon, the Hoover Dam, Death Valley then arrive in California!
Ha okay I guess that’s not so little.
We’re hoping to complete this trip in about 5 to 6 days so I’m not sure we’ll get to see everything we’ve mapped out, but I’m definitely excited for the adventure! Unfortunately this means my brother will now be stationed in California for the next 5 years, but hey I’m happy to go visit ANY time! I swear I’m a California girl at heart. If anyone has ever done a coast to coast trip, please share with me any suggestions!! Also feel free to follow me on SNAPCHAT (my username is EatUrselfSkinny) as I’ll be documenting our entire road trip
Now about this delicious apple cider oatmeal crisp. Are you salivating yet?
Last weekend my husband and I made a trip to Charlottesville which, let me just say, is one of the most gorgeous places to visit in the fall. Literally. One of my favorite things to do aside from going to wineries is visiting Carter Mountain Apple Orchard and going apple picking, sipping on homemade cider and enjoying their incredible apple cider donuts. I’m just going to tell you right now that we definitely did not leave empty handed – WHOAH did we bring back home some yummy goodies! With all the apples and cider that we now had on hand, I knew I wanted to come up with a ton of fall recipes. Oh em gee this baked oatmeal has insane flavor with apple cider, maple syrup, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla…..um need I go on??
Top everything with vanilla ice cream and I’ve gone straight to heaven.
This recipe makes such a cozy, comforting dish and our kitchen smelled absolutely amazing afterwards! I urge you all to make this oatmeal crisp this weekend and win major brownie points with the men/women in your life – my hubby gobbled his right up!
Also just one more thing I wanted to mention. A HUGE congratulations goes out to Miss Lisa who won the $100 Anthropologie Gift Card Giveaway! Thanks soo much to everyone who entered and I know I’ll be hosting more giveaways in the future so stay tuned! I sure appreciate you all reading this blog each day and sharing with me your recipes!
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups fresh apple cider
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp almond four
- ¼ cup apple cider mixture
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. allspice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Wash, peel and slice apples, setting aside in a large bowl and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan over medium/high heat, bring apple cider, maple syrup and cinnamon sticks to a boil. Turn down heat and allow apple cider mixture to simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, until liquid has reduced. Remove cinnamon sticks and pour mixture over top of sliced apples, reserving ¼ cup of liquid.
- In a separate bowl, mix together rolled oats, chopped pecans, almond flour, reserved apple cider mixture, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
- Pour soaked apples into a greased 8" x 8" baking dish and sprinkle crumbled topping over top. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm and enjoy!