Women: Avoid Sports Injuries
Relating to athletics, women and men are equal on many ranges. However there’s one space the place ladies take the clear lead: accidents. Feminine athletes are two to 6 occasions extra prone to undergo an harm than males, relying on the game. Specifically, ladies are extra susceptible to knee accidents.
Ladies usually tend to develop patellofemoral ache syndrome (“runner’s knee”), the degeneration of the shock-absorbing cartilage below the kneecap that may happen in lots of sorts of sports activities and actions. They usually’re particularly vulnerable to a debilitating rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), which helps stabilize the knee joint. Accidents to weight-bearing joints just like the knee, in addition to the ankle and hip, enhance the danger of osteoarthritis.
Why the gender inequality?
A mixture of anatomical, biomechanical and different elements are responsible. Ladies are likely to have smaller, weaker muscle tissue supporting their knees, in addition to extra lax ligaments. They have an inclination to have a wider pelvis than males, and their thigh bones angle inward extra sharply from hip to knee (that is referred to as the Q angle, see “The Q Angle,” beneath), making their knees much less steady. Plus, they have a tendency to have a comparatively better imbalance between quadriceps and hamstring muscle tissue (with the quads being stronger), which may contribute to knee accidents. There are additionally biomechanical variations between the way in which women and men land on their toes, as in operating or leaping.
As a result of hormones might have an effect on ligaments, connective tissue and neuromuscular management, ladies can also be extra susceptible to harm throughout sure phases of their menstrual cycles—although extra analysis is required. On prime of all that, coaching applications for girls are usually primarily based on these developed for males and don’t take these anatomical and organic variations into consideration.
The Q Angle
The, Q, or quadriceps, angle is the angle between two strains—one connecting some extent on the entrance of the hip bone and the middle of the kneecap (patella), the opposite connecting the kneecap and some extent on the higher shinbone (tibial tubercle). An angle better than regular will increase your threat of
You possibly can’t change anatomical or organic elements, however you possibly can be taught to compensate for them to scale back your threat of harm. If you happen to train rather a lot or play a sport, it’s possible you’ll need to work with a bodily therapist or coach, particularly in case you have already had an harm.
- Do workout routines that enhance core stability, agility, flexibility and stability. Embody energy coaching, plyometrics (which entails first stretching a muscle after which contracting it quickly) and actions that enhance proprioception (your sense of place), corresponding to utilizing a stability board. See “Gradual-Strolling Lunge” and “Plyometric Squat Leap,” beneath, for examples of two good workout routines.
- Follow dynamic warmups— that are very lively, versus gradual stretching. An internet site from Duke College presents video examples of dynamic warm-ups—for instance, how one can use train bands round each ankles whereas doing varied strolling maneuvers (ahead, backward, to the aspect and variations on regular strolling), in addition to workout routines the place you hop backwards and forwards on one leg, run zigzag, skip ahead and backward by crossing one leg over the opposite, and run backwards.
Strolling slowly, take an enormous step ahead along with your proper leg; land softly in your heel earlier than planting your complete foot down. Then, decrease your physique right into a lunge, along with your proper thigh parallel to the bottom, your again heel lifted and your weight on the entrance heel and again toe.
- Discover ways to soar and land correctly. When ladies soar, they have a tendency to land in an upright place that permits the knee to maneuver extra side-to-side and rotate. This reduces shock absorption, thereby rising the danger of leg accidents. As an alternative, your hips, knees and ankles needs to be flexed if you land to be able to take in the power of the touchdown.
- The 20-minute PEP (Stop harm and Improve Efficiency) program, developed by the Santa Monica Sports activities Medication Basis, addresses deficits most typical in ladies athletes. It consists of warm-up, strengthening, stretching, plyometrics and agility workout routines that may assist you forestall knee accidents when you interact in high-intensity sports activities or actions that contain leaping or side-to-side movement, corresponding to soccer, downhill snowboarding, tennis or vigorous dancing. A research within the American Journal of Sports activities Medication in 2008 discovered that feminine school soccer gamers who carried out this system thrice every week had a big discount in ACL accidents in comparison with a management group.
Plyometric Squat Leap
Stand along with your toes shoulder-width aside and your fingers interlocked behind your head. Squat midway (holding your knees in keeping with your toes) after which soar straight up as excessive as you possibly can, pulling in your abs. Land within the unique half-squat place. Repeat 30 occasions, pausing after every set of
- Put on correct footwear and work out on applicable (not very arduous) surfaces. Insoles might assist in case your toes overpronate (roll inwards). Don’t abruptly intensify or lengthen your exercises. Drop some weight when you’re chubby—extra weight places elevated stress on knees. Don’t put on excessive heels, besides on particular events.
- When you’ve got knee issues or are predisposed to them, keep away from the next: leg extensions with heavy weights and locked knees; full squats until suggested by a bodily therapist; operating downhill; biking with the seat low and in excessive gear; taking giant steps on stairs or stair machines.