Frozen Yogurt: Healthy or Not?
Suppose frozen yogurt and also you may consider a healthful, low-fat dessert with “pleasant micro organism” (probiotics) that will provide extra well being advantages. It may be all of these items, however don’t robotically assume that each frozen yogurt you pluck from the freezer part will really meet any of those standards.
Whereas frozen yogurt is required by regulation to include yogurt, not all merchandise include “reside” micro organism. And whereas most refrigerated yogurt is low in fats, frozen yogurts can have as a lot fats as some ice lotions. Flavors vary from fat-free vanilla to not-so-low-fat dulce de leche. Label studying is the important thing to discovering the healthful frozen yogurt you’re searching for. Hold these info in thoughts as you make your selection:
- Energy vary from about 100 to 190 per ½-cup serving. In case your serving dimension is bigger (a ½ cup is smaller than you might notice), your calorie consumption might be proportionally increased.
- Simply because it’s yogurt doesn’t imply it incorporates reside ”pleasant micro organism.” Search for the “reside, energetic cultures” label to make sure. Nonetheless, whereas refrigerated yogurts should include 100 million viable lactic acid micro organism (LAB) to hold the “reside, energetic cultures” seal, frozen yogurts are required to have solely one-tenth that quantity on the time of manufacture.
- The extra unique the flavoring and the extra added components frozen yogurt incorporates (like chocolate chips, caramel or pretzel items), the extra possible you’re to see excessive fats and calorie counts. Hold it easy.
- Sodium isn’t a serious concern with frozen yogurts (they normally include 75 milligrams or much less per ½-cup serving).
- Whereas common yogurt is a wonderful supply of calcium (about 450 milligrams in a cup of plain low-fat yogurt, or 45 % of the Every day Worth), frozen yogurts can range significantly in calcium. Sometimes, they supply solely about 20 % of the Every day Worth per cup.